A Maani: Birds and Nalik Culture
"A Maani: Birds and Nalik Culture" is a book, but it was also a process of showing young adolescents how to learn about their ancestral culture and how to integrate that knowledge into what they learn at school.
This book is an excelent exemple how to plan and build educational projects inside the school that also involves the community. The chapter About this book describes the whole process involved in conducting the activities to build the texts and drawings of this book. It also contains some guidelines for teachers and community members who wish to develop similar educational projects in their schools that consider the local reality, conducted in an interdisciplinary way and with community involvement.
Edited by Cláudio da Silva & Craig Alan Volker
Colorful book, 72 pages, enriched with pictures and drawings.
Table of Contents:
- Introduction - our culture: "a Xulmu"
- New Ireland Province
- The Nalik area and our villages
- Nalik society and Nalik culture
- The Origin of the Clans
- Birds of New Ireland - Their importance for the environment and Nalik culture
- Description of the birds that represent the Nalik clans
- Other important birds in Nalik culture
- About this book: notes for teachers and community workers
- About the editors of this book